Of Pretense and Persuasions

Friday, June 30, 2006

What's In a Name?

I frequently use pseudonyms at restaurants and other places where I have to first I place my order and then wait for my name to be called when my item is ready. When asked, "What is your name, ma'am?" I almost always answer "Sara." Nevermind the fact that my name indeed is not Sara. But it is the name of my sooper-doooper close friend from college, and thus, that is the name I give. I have to resort to a pseudonym out of pure neccessity. Sometimes, it is downright embarassing to watch people stutter and stumble whenever they even try to pronounce my given name. So I cut them some slack and give something easy.

Entering new environments is always a challenge for me. Most recently, I have tried to teach the Psych staff how to pronounce my name ... with varied success. I have gradually truncated my name from "Tejaswini" to "Tejas" to "Tej." Inspite of my attempts to be easy and helpful, the nursing staff, associating me with being Indian and thereof with the Taj Mahal, now thinks my name is "Taj." Oh, the humiliation.

On the flip side, I think I'm quite taken to being called "Tej." Its short. Simple. And not easily confused as the word "contagious" -- which, in the hospital environment, is of particular import to me.

This evening I stopped by Claire's to grab dinner. I was standing in line behind a thin, blond haired woman with a baby who was busy giving her order. As I stood nearby contemplating my choice for dinner, I heard her give her name: Sara. Uh-oh, I thought. There goes my name. Two seconds later, the clerk asked me for my name. The only thing that came to mind was "Sara + Tej = Sage," you know, like the herb. Like Basil. Or Oregano. Only cooler.

And of course, being well known for my wisdom, simplicity, and humility, the name Sage is entirely appropriate. It tickles me silly.

Wink.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home