Of Pretense and Persuasions

Saturday, July 01, 2006

First Step Toward a Resilient Immune System

Thursday afternoon one of my patients coughed all over me. Today, I'm sick as a dog. My "happy pills" [a.k.a. Tylenol multi-symptom] have not done much for me besides make me hyper inspite of my cold. The weird thing about doctors is that they never miss work, even when they are horribly sick. Odd, I thought, but understandable given the work load that must be shared. Sigh.

Delirium

Yesterday, I did the work-up on an elderly man experiencing visual hallucinations. I learned really one interesting fact: that urinary tract infections can cause delirium, especially in the elderly [like, men with benign prostatic hyperplasia]. So what's the work-up of a patient with delirium? Labs! Labs! Labs! The most impt would be a urine screen for esterase and WBCs. And imaging [CT or MRI]. You can't do MRIs on anyone who has metal in their bodies.
Hierarchy

I must say, my experience with Psychiatry so far has been awesome. The residents and attendings are extremely supportive, helpful and encouraging. In the ER, the MDs are excited about teaching and I learn an incredible amount. I'm given a lot of responsibility and work with the resident and attending to figure out the plan [impt because I really don't know anything!!]. After two years of pedantic learning, getting the chance to do things, to play doctor, to play detective, is simply awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home