Of Pretense and Persuasions

Monday, September 03, 2007

Recent reads:

[1] In the Merde for Love - by Stephen Clarke

I picked this book up in anticipation of my brother's immigration to France for a post doc position. I figured, I should get a headstart and learn a bit about French culture and French language, all the while getting a laugh or two to boot. Perhaps reading this book was not the best choice. It has its moments of utter hilarity, I admit -- and believe me, I appreciate those parts -- BUT in general, I found Clarke's description of his hero's philandering ways to be overdone ... and tiresome, really. And worse yet, I only learned one French word from the entire book: "merde" ... which might as well be used to describe the book itself. Rating: 5/10

[2] Social Intelligence : Beyond IQ, beyond Emotional intelligence -- by Daniel Goleman [in progress]

Fascinating so far. I have always thought of myself as socially inept ... so I picked this up to continue my never-ending psychoanalysis of myself. I'll let you know how it goes.

Upcoming events:

[1] Cell phone -- I dropped my cell phone into a pile of merde. I doesn't work anymore. I'm getting a new one come Tuesday. Sorry if I haven't been returning any of your calls.

[2] Humanitarian Health Conference - Sept 6-8 at Harvard
I'll let you know how this goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home