Of Pretense and Persuasions

Friday, July 28, 2006

Road to Normalcy

Today was the worst day ever on my Psychiatry Rotation... not so much because of Psychiatry but because I was having multiple episodes of anxiety. I lost my ID card, ran into NIB, had to have those awkward 'goodbye, it was nice working with you, heh-heh' conversations, and had to sit quietly in revulsion as I watched the Ward Staff infantilize my entirely competant patient.

I made up for it in the evening. Cooked dinner for/with a friend ... this girl who, more or less, is a reflection of my spirit. She's a nursing student I met recently. She meditates, she runs, she's crunchy organic, she's also been to China, has the same relationship issues, ... totally, my kinda girl. I mean, we are both obsessed with avocados, bananas, tofu, broccoli and dark chocolate. She's one of those people who makes me feel like I'm at home and that I am understood.

We went out to Hot Tomatoes with a few of her other nursing friends. It was so refreshing to meet other people; so nice to get out at night and walk the streets devoid of fear. I've never been to Hot Tomatoes ... or any Bar/restaurant in New Haven for that matter. Fortunately, I've learned by now how to have fun at a Bar with friends and not feel lame for not ordering anything with alcohol. I can thank Sanjay [the Shanghai one] for that lesson. What's more is that I was fairly talkative ... which goes to show that I have developed the ability to talk in group situations. So, if anything, Psych has been useful in teaching me how to talk to people. Exposure Therapy there, for you.

Dr. Fox tells me that I interview patients like a fourth year psych resident. He says I display extreme comfort in talking to people. I find this all very amusing since four or five years ago, this was very much not the case. That was when I used to run away from people; and sometimes, I guess I still do run away from people... but not so literally, and no so often.

Oh -- and the other anxiety provoking issue: I'm having a minor crisis about moving. Everyone who said they would help me is abandoning ship. Everyone except NIB [Nice Indian Boy]. But I'm too tired to even start worrying about that one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home