Of Pretense and Persuasions

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Sorry for not updating. I have no time to do anything but work and sleep and sometimes eat. I hate how everything in Ob/Gyn is suffuse with nervous energy. People run around like headless chickens freaking out at anything and everything. There is never a moment when the floor is not full of residents scurring hither and tither doing work, creating work, or otherwise pretending to be extremely busy. I hate it.

I hate it because I live in a world which I think should be calm and controlled. The unexpected happens, but you deal with it cooly and carefully. The noise, the din, the clamor, the complete disorganization of Ob/Gyn as it is practiced seems to me to be rather silly. Unnessessary, really. I mean really, do people really need to assume to roll of some lame rah rah college cheerleader when a woman is having a baby? Please, man... give her some peace.

Don't get me wrong. Now that I'm on obstetrics, I actually do like it. As in, at the end of the day, I go home feeling happy. At least, yesterday I did. The trick, I've discovered, is to spend as much time as I can with my patients and as little time as I can with my residents. Patients make me happy, because they are the ones suffuse with positive, hopefull, exuberant energy. Most of them, are excited about the new arrival to their family; most of them are so positive and optimistic even in the face of complications and unexpected hurdles. And most of them, are so unbelievably kind, considerate, and grateful. Motherhood is a beautiful thing.

1 Comments:

At 4:22 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the birthin' babies part better. Is it possible for you to spend some time with one of the midwives (I believe they do deliveries at the big Y)? Different viewpoint, one you might like. Do you get the opportunity to work with some private docs? We did at my school, and it was good to see. At the end, of course, I wanted nothing to do with OB, for much the same reasons. OB residents don't seem very happy, despite doing something that should be so satisfying...
Indeed back from vacation. Was good. Will never travel with the in-laws again. Ever. But I got to insist on doing some things that I wanted to do (and I was going to do, even if no one else did, actually), like see the sunrise from the summit of Haleakela.
Haleakela is a volcano on the island of Maui. It's still considered active by geologists though it hasn't erupted in about 800 or so years, b/c of the seismic activity that surrounds it. It rises 10,000 ft from sea level. The cloud line is at 7,000 ft, and constant, due to the pattern of the trade winds. At sunrise, the sun seems to come up through the clouds. It is wonderful. The problem? It is about a 2 hr drive from the coast, where all the hotels are, so too see the sunrise, one must get up at 2 or so (partly to get a parking space). And it's very cold and windy. Imagine doing this with complaining inlaws. I sat out in the wind the entire time, while they stood behind the plexiglass windbreak the National Park Service has thoughtfully provided, and I had PEACE!

Having a good time with my outpatients (don't be jealous--be a psychiatrist! We have an elective in Malaysia!). I am trying to encourage one of my patients to submit his beautifully written, though admittedly psychotically disorganized, poems for publication somewhere. He is very paranoid. We'll see.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home